A bored rabbit is a destructive rabbit. Digging or chewing the carpet and chewing forbidden objects are just two examples. Whether inside the cage or out, your rabbit needs plenty of toys to keep him/her from getting bored. Some ideas:
- Toilet paper rolls & paper towel rolls
- Untreated straw baskets of any size
- Natural wood blocks (no pressure treated wood, plywood, particle board, press board, etc.)
- Rolled oats box with ends cut off
- Rubber balls (unless they chew on them)
- Wire ball with bell inside, you can also stuff them with hay!
- Baby toys such as rattles and giant key rings
- Hanging bird toys with bells
- Rice mats (available at Pier 1 Imports for example)
- Cardboard boxes with openings or doors cut in the sides
- Things to jump up on (they like high places where they can look around)
- Cardboard molds for concrete posts available at hardware stores.
- Shouting “NO” or whistling loudly. (Don’t use a whistle – it would cause great pain to sensitive ears.)
- Thump your foot like another rabbit
- Spray bunny with water, using a clean spray bottle – on the rump, never in the eyes!
Spaying/Neutering, bunny-proofing and providing plenty of toys often reduces undesirable behavior.
(Don’t touch my toys!)